Psssssst… there’s going to be a prison break, and everyone is invited. The 34th Annual Alcatraz Escape from the Rock™ Duathlon and Swim, will be held on Sunday, July 20. Participants have the choice an open-water swim (1.5-mile swim) or duathlon (1.5-mile swim and 7-mile run).
You have heard the stories, you’ve seen the movies, you know the infamous inmates, but now it’s your turn to make history on the escape course! Participants will be taken right in front of “The Rock” via tourist ferry, where everyone will be dropped off. You’ll be swimming away as you make the ULTIMATE ESCAPE! The swim course is the original swim from Alcatraz, the duathlon adding a seven-mile run to Fort Point and back to Aquatic Park. This is the "Number 1" scenic run in San Francisco, along the Marina Green/Presidio Crissy Field Promenade, with fantastic vistas of the Golden Gate Bridge, Marin Headlands, Alcatraz Island, and the San Francisco Bay. This event is limited to 400 participants, so don’t wait to register!
Registration fees for the Open-Water swim is $150; and $175 for the Duathlon (individual) or $200 relay team. Duathlon two-person relay can be male, female, or co-ed. Participants will receive swim cap, commemorative Tech-T, snacks, beverages, SF Bay ferry shuttle, and medals for all Duathlon finishers. Personalized awards and medals will go to the top finishers in multiple categories.
- 5:20-6:20 a.m. Set up Transition Area in grandstands in Aquatic Park. You will leave your running shoes here. Relay team members will trade the timing chip (aka baton) in the transition area. Check-in and race-day registration will be held in the Senior Center, which is located on the first floor of the Maritime Museum.
- 6:20 a.m. Pre-race announcements
- 6:40 a.m. Athletes Parade to the Ferry
- 7:20 a.m. Ferry Departs
- 8:00 a.m. Race starts approximately at this time.
- 11:00 a.m. Preliminary race results will be announced in the grandstands at Aquatic Park. Customized age-group award plaques will be printed and mailed a few weeks after the event, so you need not be present to get your award. But wine will also be given out at the informal award ceremony and you do need to be present to take the bottle home with you. So try to stick around!
For more info about the 34th Annual Alcatraz Escape from the Rock™ Duathlon and Open-Water Swim, visit Envirosports website at http://www.envirosports.com or email them at email@example.com.
Time and results will be provided by On Your Mark Events.